CHPC Team Members | Meeting Details | Submit Your Contact Info | Questions & Answers
- Perhaps you? Come join the team!
Meeting & Participation Details:
Meeting Place: Town Office of Sidney
Meeting Time: 5:30pm
Meeting Day: Wednesday, every other week (if there ar 5 wednesdays in a month, we meet the 1st and 3rd Wednesdays)
Next Meeting: Feb. 19, 2020 ***
*** Our next meeting on 2/19 will be a combined meeting with Heart & Soul at the Snow Pond Center. Please arrive at 5:00pm. A light dinner will be served (thank you, Snow Pond!)
- View Meeting Minutes
- Comp Plan Documents
Please Provide Your Contact Information
The quality of Sidney's Comprehensive Plan depends greatly on the input of Sidney's residents. Please click on the button below to provide your contact information so that we can keep you informed. We will only use this info to contact you. We will not share it with anyone else. Thank you!
Why Are You Bugging Me With This?
- If ever your voice matters, it matters now as Sidney develops its comprehensive plan. You are part of it. Please participate.
- Sidney folks are known for their passion, freedom, and strength of opinion. As we work on this plan together, remember that you are one voice of many, and all voices are valid.
- Please do not hesitate to ask questions, even if you are not regularly involved. There is no meter on this.
- You do not have to be involved in everything. There will be sections that we address and you are welcome to be more involved in those that interest you or that you have knowledge about and less on topics on which you have less to share. The important thing is your input, somewhere in the process.
- The more folks who participate, the stronger the end result will be.
- Thank you, so very much, for reading and for willing to be a part of Sidney's future.
What is a Comprehensive Plan?
A comprehensive plan is a document that communicates the vision, direction, and rules (ordinances) that the citizens of a town desire for their community. The comprehensive planning process provides citizens with the opportunity to tell the committee how they feel about certain issues, what they really care about as it relates to living, in this case, in Sidney, and how they would like to see the Town of Sidney grow and change over the next 10-15 years.
Why does the Town of Sidney Need a Comprehensive Plan?
The comprehensive plan, also known as a general plan, master plan or land use plan, is a document designed to guide the future actions of a city or town. The plan establish priorities for the community and helps community leaders make future decisions which will affect the town. A legally adopted comprehensive plan also accomplishes the following 3 things:
- It provides legal protection for the town ordinances our Sidney voters approve at annual town meetings.
- It helps the Town of Sidney qualify for certain state grant and loan programs.
- Cooperative planning by all/most of the members of Sidney makes Sidney a better, more attractive place to live that is well positioned for the future. It helps bring us together. It helps create community.
See source: https://www.maine.gov/dacf/municipalplanning/docs/reasonsforcompplan.pdf
Why should I, a Resident of Sidney, Care About the Planning Process?
This is actually a bit of a funny question. A question in response to this is, Why Wouldn't You Care? If you live in Sidney, pay taxes to Sidney, support Sidney's and RSU 18 schools, if you are a dedicated and passionate property owner, if you care about how your community might look in 5, 10, 15 years from now, you should care. You live here. Your voice matters. And this is your opportunity to be heard. The comprehensive planning committee will be making every effort to involve you, the Sidney citizen, at every possible point. Public forums, questionnaires, and other opportunities for you to provide your valuable thoughts will be offered. Please participate in this process. The more Sidney folk who participate, the better guided the town of Sidney will be in the next two decades.
I received a Postcard. Why Do You Need My Contact Information? And What do I do With it When I am done?
Credit & Thanks to Christa Johnson @ Snowpond Center for her time and talent.
We cannot achieve as great success on Sidney's Comprehensive Plan without your input, thoughts, and feedback - and by law, we cannot get that without your consent. This post card is an attempt to involve as many Sidney citizens as possible in the Comprehensive Planning Process. You can be as much or as little involved as you choose, but when we ask you for answers to specific questions or ask you to please tell us what matters to you, we need to be able to reach you, in the manner you prefer.
You will not be inundated by us. This information will not be shared with others - only the Town of Sidney.
The only time we will send communication is when we need your explicit participation or we want to inform you of an upcoming public hearing or other info-gathering event. We trust that you'll visit this webpage or contact any of the committee members if you want further information (just click on our names above). We respect your privacy and your time. This is ONLY to be able to communicate with you when we need your feedback for the plan.
There are 4 ways you can get your information back to us.
- Fill out the form on this page with your info and keep the card for your reference.
- Drop your card off at the town office and place it into the suggestion box on the right side of the counter.
- Place a stamp on the card and mail it back to the town office.
Thank you very, very much in advance for your consent and participation.
How Can I Be Involved?
Awesome question! Quick answers:
- Come to meetings on Wednesday nights (every other week) at the Town Office, listen in and/or participate as you would wish.
- Respond to requests for your thoughts, surveys, questionnaires, and attend public forums when they are announced.
When Does the Comprehensive Planning Committee Meet? Can I Join?
We meet every other Wedneday at the Snow Pond Center for the Arts at 5:00 pm. Meetings generally last 1 - 2 hours. And Yes you can join! The more the merrier. CHPC meetings are temporaily suspended until it is deemed safe to meet again. We'll post an update when we have the next date. Stay safe and healthy!
How Long Will the Planning Process Take?
The goal is to deliver a final comprehensive plan at the 2021 Sidney Town Meeting. The process will take about 2 years and really just got off the ground in February 2019.
What Are the Outcomes of the Comprehensive Plan?
In part, this remains to be seen. It will be the sum of the efforts and desires of the citizens of Sidney, which is why it is so important for you to be a part of it (hint hint). But on a larger scale, at the end of this process, the citizens of Sidney will have collectively set the path of growth and the rules that shape it for the next 10-15 years. The comprehensive plan will lend strength and credulity to our ordinances. The comprehensive plan will be a collective effort, and that effort perhaps, will help to keep us a part of a healthy, sustainable, proactive, and forward-thinking community.
How Often Does the Comprehensive Plan Need to be Updated?
This seems to vary by town. Sidney's very first attempt at a comprehensive plan was done in 1993. The next one was done in 2003. And here we are in 2019 working on a third iteration. In general, comprehensive plans are done every 10 to 20 years. They tend to be done a little sooner when the community is growing and changing at a rapid pace, to ensure that all the residents are in agreement how the town evolves over time. Sidney is in a very rapid state of growth at the moment - and so it becomes even more important to ensure that the growth occurs in a healthy, sustainable, desired way.